Thursday, December 27, 2012
Did you Know: Hoover Dam
This is all you need to know about the Hoover Dam: it's overrated. On our way to Vegas, we saw signs for one of the biggest sighting in the world and thought, "Why not?" After a slightly terrifying ride up a mountain, we were a bit bewildered. "Is that the dam?" Jordan and I kept asking. "Is that it? No, maybe that."
Finally, us amateurs found it. Sure I guess it was in its own way kind of wondrous and vast, but I would not go as far as to say that it was mesmerizing in any way. We could have stared at the Grand Canyon for days, but we stayed in the Hoover Dam for less than a hour.
Apparently that was enough time, however, for Jordan to throw up.
"Don't judge meee," he squeaked out just before he vomited outside the car door as I clutched my stomach from laughing so hard. And I think that pretty much sums up our feelings about the Hoover Dam.
Some fun facts about the Hoover Dam that you may or may not be interested in:
1. It cost $49 million freaking dollars to build.
2. It's 726.4 feet high and 1,244 feet long.
3. Approximately 16,000 men and women worked on the project.
4. The dam can store up to 9.2 TRILLION gallons of the Colorado River in its reservoir, named Lake Mead. Boom diggity that's a lot of water.
5. It is the 18th highest dam in the world...yet another reason why it is overrated.